Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NASDAQ:AMD) stock price rose more than 5.5x from $18 in 2018 end to around $102 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its sales and P/S multiple. During this period, the company witnessed a stellar 192% rise in revenues, and combined with a higher P/S multiple, the company’s stock price has rallied despite a rise in the outstanding share count. Further, over the same period, the S&P 500 returned around 65%, meaning that AMD stock managed to substantially outperform the index since 2018-end.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Advanced Micro Devices Stock Moved: AMD Stock Has Gained 455% Since 2018we break down the factors behind this move.
AMD’s Total Revenue has grown 192% from $6.5 billion in FY 2018 to $18.9 billion on an LTM basis
- AMD’s total revenue has risen consistently from $6.5 billion in FY ’18 to $16.4 billion in FY ’21, and currently stands higher at $18.9 billion on an LTM basis.
- AMD is an American multinational semiconductor company, that develops computer processors and related technologies for business and consumer markets.
- AMD’s largest segment is the computing and graphics segment, bringing in $9.33 billion as of FY ’21, making up around 57% of the company’s total sales.
- For additional details about AMD’s revenues and comparison to peers, see Advanced Micro Devices Revenue Comparison
Revenue per share increased 106% from $6.53 in 2018 to $13.45 currently
- AMD’s revenue rose from $6.5 billion in 2018 to $18.9 billion currently, while the outstanding share count rose from 1 billion in 2018 to around 1.4 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has jumped from $6.53 in FY ’18 to $13.45 currently.
Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for AMD rose strongly from 4.6x in 2018 to 15.2x by 2020 end, but has pulled back to 7.6x currently, still around 1.65x higher than its 2018 level
- AMD’s P/S multiple rose strongly to around 15.2x by late 2020, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding increased semiconductor sales.
- However, due to the current geopolitical tensions and increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 7.6x.
- For additional details about the company stock returns and comparison to peers, see Advanced Micro Devices Stock Return Comparison,
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates
Credit: www.forbes.com /