Ask Larry: How Soon Can I Take Social Security Spousal Benefits On My New Spouse’s Record?

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Today’s Social Security column addresses questions about how soon benefits may become available based on the new spouse’s record, when divorced spouse’s benefits may become available and delaying retirement benefits until 70 for a widow. can take advantage. Larry Kotlikoff is professor of economics at Boston University and founder and president of the Economic Security Plan, Inc.

See more ask larry answer here,

- Advertisement -

Do you have your own Social Security questions you’d like answered? Ask Larry about Social Security here,

How Soon Can I Collect Social Security Spouse Benefits on My New Spouse’s Record?

- Advertisement -

Hi Larry, I am currently collecting social security benefits on my former record. I am going to get married again this year. My new husband is collecting his Social Security retirement benefits. I realize that I will no longer be able to make deposits on my former records. How soon after I get married can I expect to start collecting records on my new husband? thanks, janet

Hi Janet, If you are currently receiving divorced spousal benefits, you could potentially qualify for spousal benefits on your new spouse’s account as soon as you are married.

By the way, your current benefits will end only if you are collecting divorced spousal benefits. If you are receiving divorced widow’s benefits on his or her record, you can continue to receive survivor’s benefits even after remarrying. Remarriage after a person turns 60 does not prevent them from qualifying for benefits on the prior deceased spouse’s record. best, larry

Can I get ex-spouse benefits when I turn 62?

Hi Larry, I was born in 1962 and my ex husband was born in 1970. We had been married for 12 years. I have not remarried. Can I collect divorced spousal benefits when I retire early at age 62 or if I get SSDI, or do I have to wait until I reach retirement age (62 or FRA) ? If I can’t collect benefits on their record until they reach their retirement age, can I collect my benefits and then collect them later? susan

Hi Susan, you may not be eligible for divorced spousal benefits until your ex is either age 62 or begins receiving Social Security retirement or disability (SSDI) benefits.

As soon as you qualify and apply for later divorced spouse benefits, you can claim your own Social Security retirement benefits, but you will only be eligible for divorced spouse benefits if your ex 50% of the Primary Sum Assured (PIA) in excess of your own PIA. A person’s PIA equals their Social Security retirement benefit rate if they begin receiving their benefits at full retirement age (FRA).

In addition, if you claim fewer Social Security retirement benefits before your full retirement age (FRA) and if you later qualify for additional divorced spouse benefits, you may be eligible for a reduction in early filing. Will get stuck together.

Your best filing strategy depends on several different factors, so you may want to consider using my company’s software — maximize my social security Or maxify planner — To ensure that your family receives the highest lifetime benefits. Social Security calculators provided by other companies or nonprofits may give reasonable suggestions if they are designed with the utmost care. Our software can also verify your correct benefit amount, making sure you’re not being paid too little or too much, which could lead to potential clawbacks due to Social Security being overpaid. best, larry

Can I collect on my late husband’s Social Security now and wait until age 70 to collect my own benefits?

Hi Larry, I am 65 and work part time. I do not collect social security. My husband is 61 years old and is still working full time. We had been married for 15 years. Can I put a deposit on their record and wait until age 70 to collect my retirement benefits? thanks, sarah

Hi Sarah, I am sorry for your loss. Yes, you can apply for widow’s benefits now and wait until you’re 70 to claim your own benefits, but not until you reach your full retirement age (FRA). Some or all of your benefits may have to be withheld, depending on how much you’re earning.

Your best filing strategy may be to either file early for reduced widow’s benefits and then switch to your own record at 70, or file for reduced retirement benefits on your own record and then switch to full. Can file for widow’s benefit at retirement age (FRA). Generally, you will want to start out taking a low gain first and then switch to the higher record when it reaches its highest possible rate.

However, whatever you do, don’t delay in contacting Social Security to make an appointment to apply for benefits. Failure to apply for benefits in a timely manner may result in loss of benefits. best, larry

Credit: /

- Advertisement -

Recent Articles

Related Stories