Criminal groping case against ex-New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo formally dismissed

- Advertisement -


  • An Albany City Court judge on Friday dismissed the criminal groping case against Andrew Cuomo as the former New York governor appeared virtually for his first court hearing in the case.
  • Albany County District Attorney David Soares said the dismissal was expected as he declined to prosecute 64-year-old Cuomo for allegedly forcibly touching female colleague Brittany Comiso.
  • The Democrat resigned in August in the middle of his third term, after an investigation by the state attorney general’s office concluded he sexually assaulted nearly a dozen women.

- Advertisement -

An Albany City Court judge on Friday dismissed the criminal groping case against Andrew Cuomo as the former New York governor appeared virtually for his first court hearing in the case.

- Advertisement -

Albany County District Attorney David Soares said Tuesday that the dismissal was expected and inevitable, as he refused to prosecute Cuomo, 64, for allegedly forcibly molesting female aide Brittany Comiso at the governor’s executive mansion in late 2020. to the touch. The charge is a misdemeanor.

“While many are opinionated about the charges against the former governor, the office of the Albany County DA is the only one that has the burden of proving the elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt,” Soares said Tuesday.

- Advertisement -

“While we have found the complainant to be cooperative and credible in this case, after reviewing all available evidence, we have concluded that we cannot meet our burden in the trial,” he added.

CNBC Politics

Read more about CNBC’s politics coverage:

  • Biden cites strong December pay hike, brushes off weak job growth
  • Supreme Court conservatives cast doubt on Biden’s Covid vaccine-or-test rules
  • US unemployment rate falls in December but rises for black women

Cuomo denied wrongdoing. He did not say anything during Friday’s brief hearing, where he sat next to his lawyer, Rita Glavin, from a remote location.

The 33-year-old commisso had earlier this week criticized Soares’ decision to withdraw the case.

“My disheartening experience of being re-victimized with the failure to prosecute a serial sexual abuser, no matter how much the crime, is still sad that victims are afraid to come forward, especially against those in power,” Comiso The Albany Times told the union in a statement.

“When will our voices be equally accepted? Where do we go to assert our rights? Unfortunately, this is just another example of where our criminal justice system needs to improve,” he said.

Democrat Cuomo resigned in August in the middle of his third term, after an investigation by the state attorney general’s office concluded that he sexually assaulted nearly a dozen women, including Comiso.

The Albany criminal case, which was initially filed by the Albany County Sheriff’s Office without Soares’ knowledge, was the only criminal case filed against Cuomo in relation to the alleged harassment.

Two other county district attorneys in Westchester and Nassau recently said they would not prosecute Cuomo for alleged unwanted touching of women in those jurisdictions.

on Monday, Cuomo’s attorney said an investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office The Cuomo administration’s alleged mismanagement of Covid-19-related deaths of nursing home patients had ended without any criminal charges.

,

- Advertisement -

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

DMCA / Correction Notice

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox