- Elon Musk’s Tesla sold more than 200,000 electric cars in China during the first three quarters of the year, data from the China Passenger Car Association shows.
- On a monthly basis, the best-selling electric car in China in September remained the budget Hongguang Mini, a small vehicle developed by General Motors’ joint venture with Wuling Motors and state-owned SAIC Motor.
- New energy vehicle sales in China soared amid Beijing’s support for the industry, while passenger car sales overall declined for the fourth straight month in September.
BEIJING — Tesla took two of the top three spots for best-selling electric car models in China, industry data for the first three quarters of the year showed.
According to data released by the China Passenger Car Association on Wednesday, it is well ahead of start-up rivals like Xpeng and Nio.
According to the Passenger Car Association, Elon Musk’s automaker sold more than 200,000 electric cars in China during those three quarters — 92,933 Model Ys and 111,751 Model 3s.
China accounted for about a fifth of Tesla’s revenue last year. The US-based automaker began delivering its second China-made vehicle, the Model Y, earlier this year. The company also launched a cheaper version of the car in July.
Tesla shares are up about 15% so far this year, while Nio’s US-listed shares are down more than 25% and Xpeng’s is down about 7% during that time.
On a monthly basis, data showed that the best-selling electric car in China in September remained the budget Hongguang Mini – a small vehicle developed by General Motors’ joint venture with Wuling Motors and state-owned SAIC Motor.
Tesla’s Model Y was the second best-selling electric car in China in September, followed by the older Tesla Model 3, data from the Passenger Car Association showed.
Sales of new energy vehicles – a category that includes hybrid and battery-only cars – climbed amid Beijing’s support for the industry. However, passenger car sales declined year-on-year for the fourth straight month in September.
Chinese battery and electric car company BYD dominated the new energy vehicle best-sellers list in September, accounting for five of the top 15 car sales, data from the Passenger Car Association showed.
Xpeng’s P7 sedan finished 10th, while none of the Nio models made it to the top 15 list. In fact, the Nio hasn’t been on that monthly list since May, when the Nio ES6 was ranked 15th.
Some in China’s auto industry have cast doubt on the accuracy of the association’s figures.
Here is the Association’s list of the 15 best-selling new energy vehicles in China for the first three quarters of 2021:
1. Hongguang Mini (SAIC-GM-Wuling)
2. Model 3 (Tesla)
3. Model Y (Tesla)
4. Han (BYD)
5. Kin Plus DM-I (BYD)
6. Lee One (Le Auto)
7. iBen EV (Chang’an)
8. Ion S (GAC Motor Spin-off)
9. EQ (Cherry)
10. Ora Black Cat (Great Wall Motor)
11. P7 (Xpeng)
12. Song DM (BYD)
13. Neza V (Hozon Auto)
14. Clever (SAIC Rowe)
15. Kin Plus EV (BYD)