- A federal judge has set July 18 as the starting date for the trial of former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on charges of contempt of Congress for refusing to cooperate with the Capitol riot investigation.
- The trial is set to last two weeks, Judge Carl Nichols ruled after hearing from federal prosecutors and attorneys for Bannon during a hearing in US District Court in Washington.
- The House voted in late October to refuse to comply with a subpoena issued by the select committee investigating the January 6 riots to Bannon in contempt of Congress.
A federal judge on Tuesday set July 18 as the starting date for the trial of former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on charges of contempt of Congress for refusing to cooperate with the Capitol riot investigation.
The trial is set to last two weeks, Judge Carl Nichols ruled after hearing from federal prosecutors and attorneys for Bannon during a hearing in US District Court in Washington.
The ruling splits the difference between requests from prosecutors, who wanted the latest trial to begin in mid-April, and Bannon’s lawyers, who sought 10 months to prepare.
The House voted in contempt of Congress in late October to refuse to comply with a subpoena for documents and testimony to Bannon, issued by a select committee investigating the January 6 riots.
That day, hundreds of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol, forcing Congress to flee its chambers and temporarily barring lawmakers from ratifying President Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory. Trump and several of his aides, including Bannon, had spent months before the riots, falsely claiming that the election for Biden was rigged.
Bannon’s lawyer argued that he was complying with a claim of executive privilege claimed by Trump, which had barred the former senior White House adviser from providing material requested by the select committee.
In November, Bannon was indicted by a federal grand jury of two counts of contempt of Congress. If convicted, Bannon faces maximum sentences One year in prison and a fine of up to $100,000 for each count. He has pleaded not guilty.
The January 6 select committee has issued dozens of summons as part of an investigation into the facts and causes of the riots, but Bannon is the only person to have faced charges related to the investigation so far.
Earlier on Tuesday, former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said he is no longer cooperating with the January 6 select committee.
Meadows, a former House member, in an interview on streaming news network Real America’s Voice, said the committee planned to ask about items it believed to be protected by executive privilege.
Meadows said, “We found that despite our cooperation and sharing of documents with them they had released us inadvertently, and even without a courtesy visit, of a third party trying to obtain information.” A summons was issued to the carrier,” Meadows said. “And so at this point, we think it’s best that we continue to respect executive privilege and it looks like the courts will have to look into that.”
“Its [Trump’s executive] privileges; I can’t forgive that,” Meadows said.
This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.