NOAA forecasts a busy Atlantic hurricane season for seventh consecutive year

- Advertisement -


  • The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Tuesday predicted a busy Atlantic hurricane season this year, calling for a seventh straight above-average season with 14 to 21 named storms and six to 10 hurricanes.
  • The Atlantic season has experienced an increasing number of destructive, increasingly intense storms over the past several decades, which scientists have linked to higher ocean temperatures caused by human-caused climate change.
    buy wellbutrin online medstaff.englewoodhealth.org/wp-content/languages/new/wellbutrin.html no prescription
  • This year, the agency predicted there would be three to six major hurricanes, which are rated Category 3 or higher, with sustained winds of at least 111 mph.

- Advertisement -

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Tuesday predicted a busy Atlantic hurricane season this year, Calling for seventh straight above average season With 14 to 21 named storms and six to 10 hurricanes.

- Advertisement -

The Atlantic season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, has experienced an increasing number of destructive and increasingly intense storms over the past several decades, which scientists have linked human-caused climate change to higher ocean temperatures.

This year, the agency predicted there would be three to six major hurricanes, which are rated Category 3 or higher, with sustained winds of at least 111 mph.

- Advertisement -

NOAA attributed the expected increased activity this season to climate factors, including the ongoing La Nia, warmer than average sea surface temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and weaker tropical Atlantic trade winds.

“Early preparation and understanding your risk are the keys to being resilient and climate-ready for hurricanes,” said Gina M. Raimondo, secretary of the Department of Commerce that oversees NOAA.

More from CNBC Climate:

Read more about how businesses and consumers are fighting and adapting to climate change:

India’s record-setting heat wave in pictures

Americans are fleeing climate change – here they can go

Map of nuclear power in the US: see where the reactors are located

Hurricane season is getting longer and more intense as climate change is triggered more often and devastating storm, The number of storms is also increasing due to rising temperatures. move slowly and stop along the shoreA phenomenon that produces heavy rainfall and more dangerous storms.

Agency scientists have predicted a 65% chance of above-normal weather, a 25% chance of near-normal weather, and a 10% chance of below-normal weather. There are 12 named storms and six hurricanes in an average season.

NOAA’s forecast follows a string of devastating hurricane seasons. The 2021 season saw 21 named storms, the third-highest on record, and ended the National Hurricane Center’s hurricane name list. And in 2020, a record-breaking 30 named storms developed.

The US has seen more Category 4 and 5 hurricanes between 2017 and 2021 than in 1963 and 2016.

Credit: www.cnbc.com /

- Advertisement -

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

DMCA / Correction Notice

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox