Top Line

A man arrested in a deadly bow and arrow attack on Wednesday in the Norwegian city of Kongsberg was a recent convert to Islam and showing signs of bigotry, according to multiple reports quoting police officers on Thursday.

important facts

- Advertisement -

A 37-year-old Danish national has been arrested and charged with a bow-and-arrow attack on Wednesday that killed five and injured two, police chief Ole Bredrup Severud said. said Thursday.

severud said The unidentified man, who had recently converted to Islam, was already known to the police, who feared that he had been radicalised.

Norwegian security service said The attack appears to have been carried out as a terrorist act.

Police initially confronted the suspect six minutes after the attack, but escaped after shooting arrows at officers, BBC informed of.

Police later apprehended the suspect 35 minutes after the attack began, and Severud said It is likely that five victims were killed after an initial confrontation with the police.

Although police did not identify the five victims—four women and one man—Sawerud said they were all in the age group of 50 to 70 years.

what we don’t know

Police have neither named the suspect nor revealed What charges does he face?

important quotes

King Haraldo of Norway Allegedly Kongsberg told the city that “the rest of the country stands with you” and offered sympathy to the wounded and the bereaved. “It shakes us all when terrible things happen to us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open road.”

main background

The attack is the deadliest in Norway since 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them children. Norway commemoration The summer marked the 10-year anniversary of the attack.

Five killed in bow and arrow attack in Norway (Businesshala)

Man charged with bow and arrow attack in Norway that killed 5 (Now)

Bow-and-arrow suspect known to Norwegian police (BBC)