Omi-what? Las Vegas New Year’s Eve fireworks show will go on, with 300,000 expected

- Advertisement -


LAS VEGAS — Regional public safety and elected leaders said Wednesday that Las Vegas is not canceling or shortening plans for large New Year gatherings amid concerns about the rapid spread of the Omicron version of COVID-19.

- Advertisement -

The city is expected to draw more than 300,000 visitors for events including the New Year’s Eve fireworks show on the Las Vegas Strip, which was canceled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

- Advertisement -

Thousands of ticketholders are also expected at a multi-stage outdoor concert under a canopy light show at the downtown casino pedestrian mall called the Fremont Street Experience.

“If you are sick, stay at home. If you are indoors, wear a mask,” said Clark County Commissioner Michael Knaft, who along with Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman and police, fire and communications center officials banned glass and metal containers, coolers, strollers Including stood to outline the sanctions. Bags, purses and accessories.

- Advertisement -

“We encourage everyone to look out for each other, take personal responsibility, and take consistent action to limit the spread of COVID-19,” Naft said.

Talk of safety came on a day when a coronavirus virus driven largely by the highly infectious Omicron variant led to new cases COVID-19 in the US at the highest level on record, More than 265,000 per day on average. The previous mark was 250,000 cases per day last January, according to data kept by Johns Hopkins University.

Paris, London, Berlin and New York are among cities that have withdrawn or called off New Year’s festivities, and airlines have canceled thousands of flights amid staff shortages attributed to the virus.

Chicago officials said their fireworks show is still on this week, despite Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker’s warning during a news conference that, “Omicron and Delta are coming to your party.”

In Las Vegas, regional health officials on Wednesday reported 2,201 new coronavirus cases – the biggest increase in a day since last January 11 – and 15 new deaths. New cases and deaths are rising, and there has been a jump in the number of people hospitalized with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19 in Clark County.

The county’s 14-day test positivity rate, representing the percentage of people tested for COVID-19 and found positive, reached 10.1%, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported, The World Health Organization’s target for easing mitigation measures is 5% or less.

Southern Nevada Health District reported 68.2% of Las Vegas area residents have received at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine, and 55.8% have been fully vaccinated.

Goodman, an outspoken critic of the Nevada mask mandate and restrictions on crowd size in the first months after business closures in March 2020, wore a mask on Wednesday, but removed it to remind the media that Las Vegas’ biggest events Will be out

“We are saying that people can feel comfortable going mask-free,” the mayor said. “But personally, if you have a problem or you are worried, wear your mask. It’s a question of respect.”

Last year, even though the fireworks were cancelled, thousands of fun-loving still gathered on casino-lined Las Vegas Boulevard to ring in 2021.

this year, National Weather Service Forecast A chilly Friday night with temperatures near freezing on the Strip mostly clear skies and winds that don’t stop the fireworks are expected.

Eight-minute choreographed fireworks display The film will be shot from atop eight resort properties bracketed by the Strat Tower and MGM Grand Hotel, with the soundtrack being broadcast on two FM radio stations in Las Vegas.

Clark County Undersheriff Christopher Darcy calls for lessons learned about police, fire, ambulance and communications cooperation as a lone shooter in October 2017 rained bullets into a Las Vegas Strip concert crowd from an upscale hotel for 10 minutes . Sixty-eight people died that night, and hundreds were injured. At least two other deaths were later attributed to the mass shooting, which remains the deadliest in modern American history.

Darcy said about 1,200 police officers would be deployed to the Las Vegas Boulevard area, where roads would remain closed and thousands of security guards in hotels. Several hundred officers would be assigned to the Fremont Street District.

The curfew requires any person under the age of 18 to be accompanied by a parent or guardian in both areas.

“We encourage people to take the proper precautions – whether it’s vaccinations or face coverings – and to do everything you can to protect yourself,” the police officer said.

He said that those having fun should arrange for transport which does not involve driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

“Wear warm clothes and comfortable shoes,” said Deputy Clark County Fire Chief Warren Whitney. “Stay hydrated, and be prepared to walk a lot.”

Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority A statement said the fireworks were visible “on the Strip and around the Las Vegas Valley.”

“We encourage revelers to take appropriate health and safety precautions prior to arrival and follow the indoor mask mandate when they are in Las Vegas and seek medical care if they are feeling unwell,” the statement said. Take it.”

,

- Advertisement -

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

DMCA / Correction Notice

Recent Articles

Related Stories

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox