- Marvel star Scarlett Johansson and The Walt Disney Company have settled a breach of contract lawsuit brought against the studio in July by the “Black Widow” actor.
- The explosive suit claimed that Disney had breached Johansson’s contract when it released “Black Widow” on its streaming service Disney+, the same time it debuted in theaters.
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Marvel star Scarlett Johansson and The Walt Disney Company have settled a breach of contract lawsuit brought against the studio in July by the “Black Widow” actor.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“I am very pleased that we have been able to reach a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding ‘Black Widow’,” Disney Studios president Alan Bergman said in a statement. “We appreciate their contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on many upcoming projects, including Disney’s ‘Tower of Terror’.”
The explosive suit claimed that Disney had breached Johansson’s contract by releasing “Black Widow” on its streaming service Disney+ at the same time it debuted in theaters. Johansson argued that the company guaranteed a special theatrical release for his solo film, and that his salary was based in large part on box office performance.
“I am pleased to have resolved my differences with Disney,” Johansson said in a statement. “I’ve been incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration for years to come.”
Johansson and Disney’s lawyers spent months sparring at each other. Disney accused the actor of “disgusting disregard” for the dangers of COVID-19 to the public watching the film and publicly disclosed that it had already paid Bees $20 million for the film.
Johansson’s lawyers said Disney’s comments were “an attempt to make him appear as someone and I know he is not.”
The back and forth prompts Jamie Lee Curtis, Blumhouse’s Jason Blum, and Marvel’s own “WandaVision” star Elizabeth Olsen to come to Johansson’s rescue. Even the president of the Screen Actors Guild slammed Disney for “bullying” Johansson in a public statement on Friday.
While it’s not clear what Johansson was paid for in the settlement, it looks like the star is willing to put the lawsuit behind her. Johansson is expected to work with Disney on the upcoming “Tower of Terror” reboot based on one of Disney’s most popular attractions.