Some 23,000 emergency calls failed during a 12-hour outage last June.
T-Mobile will pay some $19.5 million as part of a settlement with the Federal Communications Commission after thousands of emergency 911 calls failed as a result of a 12-hour outage in June of last year.
The FCC announced the settlement that would resolve its investigation into the matter, saying T-Mobile would pay a multi-million dollar settlement and new commitments to improve 911 outage notices given to public safety responding points. have agreed to implement a compliance plan with the U.S., as well as provide them with follow-up notice within two hours of the initial outage notification.
On June 15, 2020, 12-hour and 13-minute interruptions caused congestion on T-Mobile’s 4G, 3G and 2G networks, and resulted in a “complete failure” of more than 23,000 911s, according to the FCC. Call. The outage resulted in thousands of 911 calls made without location or call back information.
“We understand how important reliable connectivity is to ensure public safety and we take that responsibility very seriously,” T-Mobile told ABC News in a statement Wednesday. “We have built resilience into our emergency systems to ensure that our 911 elements are available when needed.”
“This was a short-term isolated outage and we immediately took steps to further expand our network to prevent such incidents in the future,” the company said. “We are now moving beyond the FCC’s investigation and turning our attention to our ongoing network build-up.”
The settlement’s announcement this week comes on the heels of a separate cyberattack saga T-Mobile recently revealed to customers. In August, the company said the personal information of millions of existing and potential customers was compromised in a data breach that was the result of a “highly sophisticated cyberattack.”