Top Line

Dozens of aid workers employed by the World Health Organization and other groups to respond to a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo used their power to sexually assault and exploit women and girls under the age of 14, an independent commission has said. reported on Tuesday.

important facts

- Advertisement -

WHO officials said the annual investigation found that 83 aid workers had links to abuse between 2018 and 2020, including nine allegations of rape.

Some 21 of the accused criminals were confirmed to be employed by the WHO, and included local and foreign workers.

According to the report, 29 of the victims become pregnant as a result of the abuse, some of whom were forced to abort.

The youngest alleged victim mentioned in the report was a 14-year-old girl who is said to jolianne, which says she was raped by a WHO driver who offered to take her home and instead took her to a hotel where the attack took place.

WHO officials said all the employees identified in the report who were currently employed in the organization were End and others were barred from future employment.

who will refer cases to the appropriate law enforcement agencies for criminal investigation if the alleged victims give their consent.

important quotes

“The first thing I want to say is to the victims and survivors of sexual abuse and abuse [is] I am sorry,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday. “I’m sorry what was done to you by the people employed by WHO serve and protect You.”

main background

tedros launched an independent investigation Last year media outlets reported that women in Congo accused activists of the WHO and other aid groups sexual abuse and other offences. Many women describe that they were coerced or coerced into having sex in exchange for employment, or were fired if they refused their advances. occurred during the alleged abuse DRC’s 10th Ebola Outbreak, when more than 3,000 people were infected with the contagious disease and the WHO reported 2,287 deaths in Equateur and Kivu provinces. WHO officials said on Tuesday it was the second largest Ebola outbreak on record. The crisis was largely compounded by violent conflict between 70 Armed Militia Group in the area, which has displaced thousands.