Top Line

The Women’s Tennis Association said on Monday that International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach’s video call with Peng Shuai did not fully address their concerns about the safety of the Chinese tennis star, who has had limited contact with the outside world. Ever since he has accused a powerful state official. to sexually abuse her.

important facts

- Advertisement -

In a statement released on Monday, the WTA said it was nice to see Peng in recent videos, but they do not address his concern about his “well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.” informed of,

Regarding her video call with Bach, the WTA said it does not change their organization’s stance on calls for a “complete, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship” into her sexual assault allegations.

Earlier on Sunday, the IOC issued a statement saying that Peng had a 30-minute video call with its president, Thomas Bach, where she said she was safe at home in Beijing and wanted her privacy to be respected.

Emma Terho, chair of the IOC’s Athletes’ Commission, who also participated in the call, said NS new York Times She was relieved to see that Peng appeared safe and “at ease”.

The IOC’s call with Peng comes at a time when the organization is facing intense pressure from human rights groups who are calling for a boycott of the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympic Games in Beijing.

- Advertisement -